You don’t need to buy readymade popcorn or own a popcorn maker. I’ve found this method to be the easiest, healthiest and most effective. I found this method on Simply Recipes. I’ve tried a few methods but this is now my trusted party popcorn recipe. Two batches of this recipe will be plenty for a party of 10 children to each have a container of popcorn.
3 Tbsp of oil (coconut or canola)
1/3 Cup of popcorn kernels
Optional butter and salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a pot on medium heat.
- Put 3 popcorn kernels in the pot and wait for them to pop.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the 1/3 Cup of popcorn kernels.
- Put the lid on and count to 30 while keeping the pot off the heat.
- Put the pot back on the heat and wait for the popping to start.
- Once the popping starts gently shake the pot back and forth while keeping it on the heat.
- Once the popping slows remove from the heat and tip popcorn in a bowl.
- Add butter and salt if desired.
(The trick to this method is the heating of the oil to the correct temp and then counting to 30 while all the kernels reach ‘near popping’ temperature so they pop at the same time and don’t burn.)